Friday, October 19, 2007

A precursor to persecution in the UK?

I recognise that muslims (and some other religions) who convert to Christianity in the UK are persecuted, but on the whole there is not much persecution of Christians in the UK.
I think though that we are seeing precursors to future persecution in the UK.

Today I was at a Child Protection Training session that the college I work at put on.
During the intro the teacher said that child abuse has gone one throughout history and then claimed that in the Bible King David was given a little girl to sleep with.
At this point I interrupted and said something along these lines:

"That is not true. You are referring to the beginning of Kings where it says that David was old and cold, and they gave him a young woman to keep him warm, and it specifically says that he did NOT have sexual relations with her. And given the Jewish culture of the day, they certainly would not have given him a young girl to have sex with.
I think that you need to give Bible references if you are going to make such claims against the Jewish Faith and the Christian Faith, because I find what you just said highly offensive."

To this the teacher apologised, which I accepted, and I talked with him further about it later explaining how it was a common practice in those days in the East, and how the Bible condemns child abuse especially the pagan practice of burning child to foreign gods.

The teacher was civil and apologetic, but it betray where our culture is at right now. No one would dare at a lecture on child abuse to refer to Mohammed's marriage to a young girl, yet it seems fair game to refer to King David.
Paedophiles are probably the most hated people in the UK, and now government paid child protection lecturers are implying a link between Christianity and paedophilia.
Although I would certainly not call this persecution as Christians experience in Pakistan, it does appear to be a sign of where society is heading. The UK has gone from having a strong Christian influence to rejecting Christianity, and now even seeming to hate it.

Thank God that he always has his remnant!
Romans 11:3 "Lord, they have killed your prophets, they have demolished your altars, and I alone am left, and they seek my life." 4 But what is God's reply to him? "I have kept for myself seven thousand men who have not bowed the knee to Baal." 5 So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace.
D