Thursday, October 18, 2007

Heidelbery Catechism 01

Heidelberg Catechism 01:

Intro to the HC:

"This catechism was written by Zacharias Ursinus (1534- 1583) and Caspar Olevianus (1536-1584) in Heidelberg, Germany and published in 1563 in German. It was endorsed by the Synod of Dordt and embraced by Reformed Churches in many different countries. It is the custom of many churches that use it to explain it from the pulpit every Sunday afternoon, so it is divided into fifty-two sections."


Lord’s day 1:

Task1: Read out questions 1 & 2:


Question 1: What is your only comfort in life and in death?

Answer 1: That I, with body and soul, both in life and in death, am not my own, but belong to my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ, who with His precious blood has fully satisfied for all my sins, and redeemed me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my Father in heaven not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, that all things must work together for my salvation. Wherefore, by His Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me heartily willing and ready from now on to live unto Him.

Question 2: How many things are necessary for you to know, that in this comfort you may live and die happily?

Answer 2: Three things:

First, the greatness of my sin and misery.

Second, how I am redeemed from all my sins and misery.

Third, how I am to be thankful to God for such redemption.

(these are the 3 sections that the HC divides into)


Task2: Split into small groups:

- Read out loud the following questions without answering them.

- Work out as a group, how to skim read Gen chps. 1-11, and read it.

- Write out 1 sentence answers to the following:

Q.a. According to Gen chps. 1-11, what are our miseries, and where do they come from?

Q.b What therefore is man’s greatest need/comfort?

Q.c What does our present culture tell us is our greatest need/comfort?

Q.d In what ways to people often comfort themselves?

Q.e Why is it important to know your greatest need/comfort?

Q.f Summarise in 2 simple sentences answers to today’s HC questions.