Monday, May 15, 2017

Image Bearers 6: Voice

Here's the video and discussion guide for part 6 of our New Discipleship tool



Image Bearers 6 ‘Voice’

Feedback on how you got on with the tongue assignment of only building people up?

Read Matt 12:36, and discuss for a couple of minutes (how does it make you feel? How important is it to say the right thing? How easy is it to say the right thing? How long does the Tongue assignment really last for?)

Read Eph 4:15

What are we supposed to speak?______________

How are we supposed to speak? ________________

What will the result be? _______________________________________

Your mouth is your most useful tool for making disciples (helping people become more like the image of Christ).

Read Luke 6:45  
According to this verse, what’s going on when we don’t speak the truth lovingly to others?

So the real problem with our voices is our heart!

Tick the boxes for ways that you often use your voice. Circle the corresponding verses, and add them to your armoury of truth to pray through them during the week.

How you often use your voice
What’s in your heart
Replace with the good (meditate on these verses)
Speaking more than listening. Giving lots of advice
Pride: What I have to say is more important than what you have to say
Prov 3:7
Not sharing gospel truths with people
Fear: I can’t do this. Fear of man: They’ll think badly of me. Pride: They don’t matter enough for me to share God’s word with them.
Prov 29:25-26; Rom 1:14
Speaking in a harsh tone
Fear: I need to protect myself
Anger: I’m fed up with you
2Tim 4:18; Eph 4:29-32
Not encouraging people
Pride: They don’t deserve encouragement. Selfishness: All that matters is if I’m encouraged
2Cor 13:11; 1Thess 5:10-11; Heb 3:13
Gossip
Pride: I know all the information about that person, let me be your guide about that person
Prov 11:13; 16:28; 20:19; 26:20; 2 Cor 12:20
Flattery
Selfishness: I want you to like me, or to do something for me
1Thess 2:5; Rom 16:17-18; 1Tim 3:8 (NET)
Criticism
Pride: I know better than everyone else
Prov 3:7; Jas 3:13-18;
Not giving constructive criticism
Fear: I might lose this friend if I correct them.
Eph 4:15
Accusing people
Pride: I’m all knowing and  you are definitely wrong.
Zech 3:1-4; Rom 14:4; Rev 12:10
Defensiveness
Self-righteousness: Its impossible that I did anything wrong
Rom 3:23-24; 1John 1:8; 1Tim 1:15
Complaining
Pride: I should be treated better than this
Phil 2:14; 1 Pet 4:9; Phil 2:3-11
Not speaking out on injustice
Selfishness: I don’t want to get caught in the cross fire
Prov 31:8-9
Self promotion
Pride: I want you to know how good I am, to win your approval.
Acts 5:1-10; 2 Cor 12:6
Putting people down (even with jokes)
Pride: I am putting myself in a superior position to you
Eph 4:29
Arguing
Self-righteousness: I must be right.
Jas 3:17 ‘submissive‘ here means ‘open to reason’
Condescending
Pride: I’m better than you
Prov 29:23; Jas 4:6
Blaming
Pride, self-righteousness
Gen 3:12; Prov 28:13
Not owning up to sin
Pride, self-righteousness
Jas 5:16; 1 John 1:9

Read John 1:14
If we want to be like Jesus, our words need to contain ____________ and ___________

a) How can your words contain truth?
1)    Listening to God’s word (so that it informs your words)
2)    Listening to the person your speaking to (to avoid misunderstanding them)
a.    HUG without RESQ
Why do both these things require humility?

b) How can your words contain grace?
By exposing the hardened parts of your heart to God’s word. As the heart becomes softer, the more grace we will give others (Heb 3:12-13). Preaching the Gospel to ourselves each day.

So we need to be constantly:
1)    Hearing God’s word.
2)    Applying it to our hearts
3)    Hearing other people
4)    Passing on God’s words to them

There’s an interplay here of relationship, assessment, and voice:
a) To know the right way to use your voice with someone, you first need to assess where they are at.
b) To be able to use your voice in a patient way, you need to assess where you’re at and remove the log from your eye, and fill your heart with God’s love through his word.

Read 1 Thess 5:14, How can you know which category someone is in? ____________

If they’re weak – don’t speak, instead patiently _____________


If they’re disheartened, patiently ______________


If they’re idle or disruptive, patiently _____________

Memorize Eph 4:29


Pray