Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Council Estate Christians 28: Does it matter where you come from?

David Cameron thinks that where you’ve come from doesn’t matter.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8397650.stm

But that’s not true for us. Its important to have preachers who have come from the same backgrounds as the people they are trying to reach. A common attitude to preachers is,
“You don’t know me, you don’t know where I’ve come from, what I’ve done.”
It is therefore really helpful to have a preacher who does know, who has experienced the same things, and who has gone through those things with Jesus Christ, and can then testify how Jesus saved him.

So we need more council estate men raised up as preachers.

Does this mean that middle class guys can't come and preach on estates? I don't think so, but it has to be done very carefully, and I'll write about this more later.