Wednesday, June 04, 2008

What does, "Touch not the Lord's anointed!" mean?

You may have heard Benny Hinn say this before,
"Touch not the Lord's anointed!"

I've heard him say it when he's pronounced a curse on anyone who speaks out against him. I've also heard other people say it when they've heard Benny Hinn spoken against, and I've even had someone say it to me, where they were considering themselves as the Lord's anointed, and were warning me to not say anything about them.

So what does it really mean? Who is the Lord's anointed?

In the Bible, this phrase is talking about the King of Israel. It is never used to speak of a pastor, but always of the King.

It was used of King Saul, who rescued God's people from the Philistines, but then failed to live under God's rule. It was also used of King David, who did then rule God's people, in God's place, under God's rule. David actually was a type of Christ, his Kingship pointed ahead to a future King who would rule God's people, in God's place, under God's rule. So, years after David's kingdom fell apart, Jesus came and became the King, so that we can live as his people, in his place (Christ the temple), and under his rule. In fact this is what "Christ" means, "the anointed one" or "Messiah".

Therefore the phrase, "the Lord's anointed" today refers to the God's King over God's people, in God's place, the Messiah, Jesus Christ.

Therefore, it is incorrect to use the phrase, "The Lord's anointed" to speak of pastors, or evangelists, or even tele-evangelists.

If you want to study this further, then here are the verses where the phrase, "the Lord's anointed" is found in the ESV Bible:


1 Samuel 16:6 6 When they came, he looked on Eliab and thought, "Surely the LORD's anointed is before him."

1 Samuel 24:6 6 He said to his men, "The LORD forbid that I should do this thing to my lord, the LORD's anointed, to put out my hand against him, seeing he is the LORD's anointed."

1 Samuel 24:10 10 Behold, this day your eyes have seen how the LORD gave you today into my hand in the cave. And some told me to kill you, but I spared you. I said, 'I will not put out my hand against my lord, for he is the LORD's anointed.'

1 Samuel 26:9-11 9 But David said to Abishai, "Do not destroy him, for who can put out his hand against the LORD's anointed and be guiltless?" 10 And David said, "As the LORD lives, the LORD will strike him, or his day will come to die, or he will go down into battle and perish. 11 The LORD forbid that I should put out my hand against the LORD's anointed. But take now the spear that is at his head and the jar of water, and let us go."

1 Samuel 26:16 This thing that you have done is not good. As the LORD lives, you deserve to die, because you have not kept watch over your lord, the LORD's anointed. And now see where the king's spear is and the jar of water that was at his head."

1 Samuel 26:23 The LORD rewards every man for his righteousness and his faithfulness, for the LORD gave you into my hand today, and I would not put out my hand against the LORD's anointed.

2 Samuel 1:14-16 David said to him, "How is it you were not afraid to put out your hand to destroy the LORD's anointed?" 15 Then David called one of the young men and said, "Go, execute him." And he struck him down so that he died. 16 And David said to him, "Your blood be on your head, for your own mouth has testified against you, saying, 'I have killed the LORD's anointed.'"

2 Samuel 19:21 Abishai the son of Zeruiah answered, "Shall not Shimei be put to death for this, because he cursed the LORD's anointed?"

Lamentations 4:20 The breath of our nostrils, the LORD's anointed, was captured in their pits, of whom we said, "Under his shadow we shall live among the nations."


Peace
D