Friday, July 20, 2007

Did Jesus claim to be God?

Last Sunday i taught in Church on the Deity of Christ.
I promised to post the verse references I used in case anyone was not able to write them down in time. Here there are, this post is in note form, so please don't be too harsh on the formatting.


A) Jesus died because he claimed to be the Son of God:


Mar 14:61 Mark 14:61-64 61 But he remained silent and made no answer. Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?" 62 And Jesus said, "I am, and you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming with the clouds of heaven." 63 And the high priest tore his garments and said, "What further witnesses do we need? 64 You have heard his blasphemy. What is your decision?" And they all condemned him as deserving death.

John 19:7 The Jews answered him, "We have a law, and according to that law he ought to die because he has made himself the Son of God."

- the law of blasphemy
- by calling himself the son of God, he was making himself equal to God ......



B) Jesus claimed to be equal to God:

John 5:17 But Jesus answered them, "My Father is working until now, and I am working."
18 This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

John 10:30 I and the Father are one."
Joh 10:31 The Jews picked up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, "I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?" 33 The Jews answered him, "It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God."

John 14:9-11 9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.

ESV Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,



C) Jesus claimed to be Yahweh (I am)


1) God's name Yahweh comes from I AM:

Exodus 3:13-14 13 ¶ Then Moses said to God, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?"
14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'"

This phrase "I am who I am" was translated in the Greek in the Septuagint as 'ego eimi ho own', but was shortened in Isaiah to just "I am" and translated in the Septuagint as 'ego eimi'


2) God wanted them to know that he was 'I AM'.

ESV Isaiah 43:10 "You are my witnesses," declares the LORD, "and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he (ego eimi). Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.


3) Jesus applies Is 43:10 to himself, calling himself 'I AM':

ESV John 13:19 I am telling you this now, before it takes place, that when it does take place you may believe that I am he. (ego eimi)

- notice the similarity in the Greek:

Isa 43:10 .... hina ... pisteuasete ... hoti ego eimi
Joh 13:19 .... hina pisteuasete ... hoti ego eimi


4) Jesus is almost stoned for calling himself 'I AM'

Joh 8:58 ESV John 8:58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am (ego eimi). "

ESV John 8:59 So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

- the only reasons they would have for stoning him would be adultery, or blasphemy. Clearly they believed Jesus had just blasphemed by saying "I AM":

Lev 24:16 Leviticus 24:16 16 Whoever blasphemes the name of the LORD shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him.


5. Soldiers fall back when he says, "I AM"

John 18:5-6 5 They answered him, "Jesus of Nazareth." Jesus said to them, "I am he. (ego eimi)" Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them. 6 When Jesus said to them, "I am he (ego eimi)," they drew back and fell to the ground.


6. Jesus said we must believe he is "I AM"

ESV John 8:24 I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he (ego eimi) you will die in your sins."

Isa 43:10 .... hina ... pisteuasete ... hoti ego eimi
Joh 13:19 .... hina pisteuasete ... hoti ego eimi
Joh 8:24 pisteuasete hoti ego eimi



D) Jesus claimed he should be honoured as God the Father is:

John 5:23 23 that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

interesting as God said,
ESV Isaiah 42:8 I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.
and,
ESV Isaiah 48:11 ... My glory I will not give to another.



E) Jesus expected to be Glorified by the Father:

John 17:5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.

- interesting because God said he would not give his glory to another:

Isaiah 48:11 ... My glory I will not give to another.



F) Jesus never stopped people worshipping him or calling him God:

ESV John 20:28 Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!"

ESV Matthew 28:17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted.

ESV Matthew 14:33 And those in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

=> not a man: Jesus did not tell them, "Stop, I am only a man" as Peter did: Act 10:25 Acts 10:25-26 25 When Peter entered, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. 26 But Peter lifted him up, saying, "Stand up; I too am a man."

=> not an angel: John tried to worship an angel, but the angel stopped him: Rev 19:10 ESV Revelation 19:10 Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, "You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God."



G) Jesus told people to pray to him:

ESV John 14:14 If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.



H) Jesus told people to believe in him:

ESV John 14:1 "Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.



I) Jesus claimed to be able to forgive sins:

Mark 2:5-12 5 And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Son, your sins are forgiven." 6 Now some of the scribes were sitting there, questioning in their hearts, 7 "Why does this man speak like that? He is blaspheming! Who can forgive sins but God alone?" 8 And immediately Jesus, perceiving in his spirit that they thus questioned within themselves, said to them, .... 10 But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins"--he said to the paralytic-- 11 "I say to you, rise, pick up your bed, and go home." 12 And he rose and immediately picked up his bed and went out before them all,..."



J) Jesus claimed to be the only way to salvation:

Mat 11:28 Matthew 11:28-30 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Joh 14:6 John 14:6-7 6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him."



K) Jesus claimed, if you knew him, you knew God:

Joh 8:19 John 8:19 19 They said to him therefore, "Where is your Father?" Jesus answered, "You know neither me nor my Father. If you knew me, you would know my Father also."



L) Jesus claimed to be the good shepherd:

John 10:11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

Psalm 23:1 ESV Psalm 23:1 A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.



Conclusion:

Jesus did claim to be God.