Friday, October 06, 2006

Gospel Nite:

On Friday nights we do an outreach called "Gospel nite" on the Alton Estate, Roehampton. There we do bible studies for urban youth to get away from street life for the evening and learn about Jesus instead. Tonight a 10 year old boy came and proudly told me that he knew the golden rule, and then explained it to me.
I was surprised not just that he knew it, but that someone had bothered to explain it to him.

Often people assume that the youth in council estates wouldn't be interested in the Bible, and so arrange entertaining activities for them instead of teaching the Bible. From my own experience as a youth in Roehampton and from my brothers and sisters in our small urban church, it seems that young people from council estates love to study the Bible.

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19:14 NIV

I hope that we don't hinder them.
Peace D

No comments:

Post a Comment